Username:
Password:
FORGOTTEN PASSWORD
Enter Your Email:
RETURN TO LOGIN
Enter Your Email:
UNSUBSCRIBE
environmental sustainability
The mercury contained within just one fluorescent tube can pollute around 30,000 litres of water beyond a safe level for drinking. Due to it's high toxicity and tougher regulations governing its disposal, landfill and incineration are no longer acceptable ways to safely dispose of mercury containing waste.

Recovery and recycling of these products saves landfill space, and helps to safeguard our environment from contamination. 

Each of us has a responsibility to future generations to implement recycling now to ensure long term environmental sustainability.

Mercury - the good, the bad & the ugly.

When is the last time you heard of mercury? Was it your high school chemistry class? For most of us, mercury is some chemical substance that we have nothing to do with and it doesn't really affect our lives. Or does it…

 Mercury is used today in a wide variety of products and processes. It is used (although with less and less frequency) in batteries, in thermometers, in fluorescent lights, in vaccines (although since 2003, primarily vaccines being used in Third World countries), in dental amalgam ("silver fillings"), and in the manufacture of chlorine and caustic soda. Until the late 1980's it was often used in paints, in the manufacture of glass, and in other products.

There are no other known chemicals which affect your brain as drastically Over the past twenty years, the effects of using mercury on such a wide scale has been raising more and more concerns. Mercury is the most potent neurotoxin known to man. Meaning, there are no other known chemicals which affect your brain as drastically. And worse, mercury doesn't break down in the body, or in the environment. It just keeps accumulating. This is why periodically we see government advisories warning us not to eat certain types of fish; when mercury builds up in a given water system, the fish living in those waters become toxic.

Mercury exists in nature only as part of an ore (a type of rock made up of bonded materials), usually cinnabar, gold, or silver, and is liquid at temperatures as low as 30 degrees below zero. Its extreme sensitivity to heat is in large part why it is both so useful and so dangerous. One of the earliest uses of mercury was in those good old-fashioned thermometers and barometers. The slightest change in temperature would cause the mercury to expand and fill up a longer line in the thermometer. By second grade, we'd all seen the "hold-the-thermometer-to-the-light-bulb-when-mom-leaves-the-room" experiment performed at least once, so we knew about this chemical property growing up. Unfortunately, the fact that mercury expands, and eventually vaporizes so easily means that anyone who works around mercury is at high risk of breathing in mercury vapor. This includes people who work in manufacturing plants where mercury is used or produced as part of the manufacturing process.